Tuesday, December 9

What does it mean?

Until today, I still wonder why was i named Wendy.
I was told that when I was young, I claimed that I loved Peter Pan cos he can fly. If I were to be his love, he will fly me any where I want. At that time, I told my grandma who lives in Singapore, " Like that I can fly to see u anytime I want ma..."

At the point of time, cute lil Wendy me, didn't know Peter Pan only exist in fairy tales, to be precise- in Never Never Land ONLY ( i know... naive, right?)

I guess that was the reason why I was named - Wendy.
Lets do some history checking on names...


WENDY

Gender: Feminine

Usage: English

Pronounced: WEN-dee [key]

Probably first used in J. M. Barrie's play 'Peter Pan' (1904). It was from the nickname fwendy "friend", given to the author by a young friend. However, there is some evidence that the name may have been used prior to the play, in which case it could be related to the Welsh name GWENDOLEN and other names beginning with the element gwen meaning "white, fair, blessed".


Ok, which means I could call myself Gwen?!?
Cool ...


GWENDOLEN

Gender: Feminine

Usage: Welsh

Pronounced: GWEN-də-lin (English) [key]

Means "white ring", derived from the Welsh elements gwen "white, fair, blessed" and dolen "ring". This was the name of a mythical queen of the Britons who defeated her husband in battle, as told by Geoffrey of Monmouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Banana peeling ...

CLICK ME

Custom Search

Trees I've Swung